Delay of 20 seconds

Software related support

Moderator: marcus

Delay of 20 seconds

Postby JePe » Mon 2. Jun 2008, 18:27

Gentlemen,

I've got a strange problem. System is a 32bit Windows XP SP3 installation with a bare minimum of drivers and no additional PCI cards. Cabinet is a OrigenAe H5 featuring a VF110.

I witness the following: system starts up, the IrTrans USB client starts (so icon shows). Then it takes exactly 20 seconds before the VFD becomes bright (characters for time and date light up after being dim). During these 20 seconds, the IR client doesn't respond to any IR remote command, no commands are detected, the icon doesn't light up. At around 17 seconds after showing the icon, I can hear the harddisk as if something is loaded. After the 20 seconds everything works fine, commands are detected.

If I start MediaPortal within these 20 seconds (it connects to port 21000 of the server I guess), the display never gets bright anymore and commands are never detected. It needs a shutdown of MediaPortal in order to get functional again.

To me this looks like the communication between the VFD firmware and the IR server/client is set-up after 20 seconds. I'm puzzled as why this takes so long. Right now, I have to delay the start of MediaPortal for 22 seconds, otherwise nothing happens anymore. The solution would be to shorten this 20 second delay.

I tried the following versions:

IRServer 5.10.09 (from the IRTrans website)
Firmware 5.08.10 (from the OrigenAE website)
USB driver 2.02.04 (from the IRTrans website)

IRServer 5.10.01 (from the OrigenAE website)
Firmware 5.08.10 (from the OrigenAE website)
USB driver 2.02.04 (from the IRTrans website)

I would have liked to downgrade to firmware 5.04.13 to see if this is root cause of the problem but the tooling doesn't let me.

I added a filemon log file (microsoft tool) that shows that after 20 seconds (at 20:40:29), irserver loads the remotes and not immediatly after boot. Why is that?
Attachments
Filemon.zip
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 2419 times
JePe

Re: Delay of 20 seconds

Postby JePe » Mon 2. Jun 2008, 19:07

Never mind, just found out that a -delay 20000 was in my startup command. No idea who puts it there though, I for sure didn't.
JePe

Re: Delay of 20 seconds

Postby IRTrans » Mon 2. Jun 2008, 19:45

Hi,
this delay is added by the IRTrans installer. The reason is quite simple: Depending on your Network Card the
Driver (and therefore IP Stack) needs some time to initialize and load. If the IP stack is not yet ready on
startup of the irserver the irserver will fail to load because it needs to initialize IP sockets. To avoid that
we use a 20s delay as default.

IRTrans
IRTrans
Administrator

Return to Software